Creating your own wellness sanctuary at home
Words: Zoë Watson
Zoë Watson – Founder of Bliss Sanctuary for Women
Entrepreneur, philanthropist and founder, Australian Zoe Watson, is a successful international business woman whose personal journey lead her to set up Bliss Sanctuary for Women – a holistic haven of tranquility for women in need of an unparalleled escape from the everyday.
I believe in the huge importance of creating an environment that helps your journey to wellness, which is why our Bliss Sanctuaries have been designed to help ladies fully relax and recuperate.
As a businesswoman who works within the wellness industry, I know how important it is to focus on yourself and promote mindfulness both at work and in the home.
I suffer from fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and chronic migraines, so I have created my own wellness sanctuary at home to ensure I have a place where I can relax and focus on my mind body and soul.
While I highly recommend saving for a getaway wellness retreat for all the soul soothing joy and relaxation, there is another way where you can create your own wellness space at home.
CREATE CLEANSING RITUALS
One thing our Bliss ladies always comment on at our sanctuaries is our healing flower baths, and how cleansed they leave the body. We always encourage our women to re-create a cleansing routine in their bathrooms when they return home and we suggest all women take the time regularly to have a long relaxing bath.
We recommend adding essential oils to your bath to create an extra-soothing experience. Lavender is known for its calming properties, whereas peppermint will reinvigorate your body.
Other amazing scents include eucalyptus, which is an anti-inflammatory, lemon which is summery and stimulating and rose which will rehydrate the skin. To create a gorgeous petal bath at home pluck the petals from a fresh bouquet of beautiful roses and drop them into running warm water. The scent and healing properties of the petals will infuse, providing you with your own moment of Bliss at home.
Epsom salts or magnesium flakes are also an amazing muscle relaxant and something I use a couple of times a week to relax our overworked bodies.
CREATE A ‘WELLNESS SPACE’
Find a spot in your home that you can turn into your own nook of relaxation.
Mostly this it the bedroom but anywhere is possible. It need not be a huge space but should be somewhere that you will not be disturbed.
This space should be somewhere away from technology, where you can read or meditate in soothing natural light.
Keep this space reserved solely for healing activities, where you can root your calm and be grounded in comfortable stillness.
Make sure you have a comfortable chair or place to lay or sit on the floor on a comfortable thick rug and add any crystals for energy flow, any wellness ornaments that make you feel peaceful, incense or oil infuser for a beautiful smell and clearing and wellness sprays are also amazing to help clear the energy around you. Some people also like to keep fresh flowers in vases and also a collection of stones and gems such as crystals which are great for enhancing energy flow.
CREATE OPEN SPACES
When an area is filled with large pieces of furniture, it becomes harder for the air to circulate around the room and can make us feel claustrophobic.
Consider how you can use the rooms in your home to give you the space to move freely, and for the air to fully circulate.
After crafting a gorgeous space for the air to circulate around make sure you regularly open the windows, letting in detoxifying fresh air. If this really interests you, read about Feng Shui and what you can do to create a balanced home.
Having regular contact with nature significantly reduces stress, anger, anxiety and fear.
Bringing an appreciation of nature into the home is one of the best ways to create wellness. If you have a beautiful view through your windows, make sure you have a cosy seat nearby to enjoy it and soak up the natural light. Indoor plants are also essential to bring the energy of the natural world in and to help clean the air and boost your mood.
To really ground yourself with nature, try ‘earthing’ where you simply take the time out to put your bare feet onto the earth and breathe in deeply while being present and feeling the calming and balancing nature of the earth.
The trend of de-cluttering the home has grown in recent years, and for good reason. Having visual noise in our environments can foster unnecessary worries.
De-cluttering can help to combat these worries, increasing our self-confidence as we settle into a newly clean and organised space. When decluttering, note which objects make you feel the most calm, happy and accomplished – and place them prominently, always allowing for positive energy to flow into your eyeline.
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- I can only describe my recent stay at this award-winning magical retreat as paradise, a trip like nothing I have …
- Best women-only hotels around the world for a brilliant ladies' getaway. Best women-only hotels around the world whether you're after …
- 'It's hard to relax here': Bachelorette Ali Oetjen leaves boyfriend Taite Radley at home as she jets to Bali for …
- Michelle Heaton, 40, flaunts her flawless physique in a white bandeau bikini as she enjoys a sun-soaked Bali retreat.
- 17 fabulous hotels for solo travel, from ski packages to spa retreats. Exploring a destination on your own is an …
- An Adventurous Spirit Finds Inner Peace in Bali: Nadia Stamp openly shares her life with the world and we got …
- Spa and Wellness: Women’s-only sanctuary in Ubud
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoë Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …
- Responding to world travel trends, Bliss Sanctuary offers more than a breathtaking Bali retreat – it’s a sanctuary.
- This Bliss Sanctuary For Women has launched a second relaxation sanctuary, in Seminyak, Bali. Founder Zoë Watson tells us whar's …
- Working out suddenly doesn't seem such an effort when you do it in paradise.