Finding Balance In Bali
I usually like my holidays to come with a generous helping of overindulgence, so when the chance to try something a little more holistic comes along, I jump at it.
Tucked away behind high walls in Canggu, 15 minutes from Seminyak in Bali, Bliss Sanctuary For Women is a boutique haven promising its guests will leave feeling relaxed, healthy and – yep, you guessed it, blissed out.
A taste of Bliss
After being collected from the airport by one of the resort’s drivers, I’m greeted at the gates by Bliss hostess Esther – every inch the island goddess.
“Welcome to Bliss,” she says, embracing me warmly.
She leads me past a sparkling blue swimming pool and lush tropical gardens to an outdoor bungalow, where fresh juices and cold towels await.
“We want you to truly relax, but we understand that means different things for different people,” Esther explains. “You’re in control of your own schedule – you can do as much or as little as you like during your stay.”
I book an early morning yoga class before retiring to my room for a massage – which is, hands down, the best I’ve ever had.
All meals at Bliss are included, with dinner served each night at a communal table. On my first evening I meet the other guests, a fascinating mix of women from their 20s to their 60s. Despite my nerves, hostess Char makes us all feel comfortable, and before long we’re chatting together like old friends.
We tuck into a Balinese feast – shredded chicken with chilli and lime, gado gado and mango dumplings for dessert. There’s not a slither of kale or a grain of brown rice in sight!
Time to kick back
The rest of my week is a luscious haze of pampering, eating and relaxing. Each guest is allocated 90 minutes of spa treatments a day, and I waste no time taking advantage (hot tip: the massage and reflexology are next level).
There are also opportunities to nurture the soul, with a roster of holistic therapists on call.
I meet Sami, a fifth-generation traditional Balinese healer with amazing intuitive and diagnostic massage skills, and Erlangga, who combines a background in psychology with tarot reading.
But it’s in a “colourpuncture” session that I have an almost outof- body experience. Therapist Henry draws on the principles of colour therapy, acupuncture and crystal healing to help clear the body, mind and spirit. It’s deeply relaxing and like nothing else I’ve ever experienced. When it’s over, I feel an overwhelming sense of calm and peace.
Yoga classes at Desa Seni, a 10-minute drive away, are also part of the retreat’s experience. Driver Ketut chauffeurs me to a Hatha class each morning, and I splash out on a one-on-one session with exceedingly patient instructor Jess – a godsend for this yoga rookie.
Striking a balance
But it’s not all downward dog – Bliss hostesses also coordinate excursions to markets, shops and beach clubs throughout my stay.
One balmy afternoon we go to famous beach club Potato Head. Sipping a vodka martini as the sun dips into the Indian Ocean, I can’t believe how many surprises this trip has had in store: the friends I’ve made, the incredible food, the occasional cocktail. And I don’t feel the least bit guilty!
If there’s one thing I’ve learnt this week, it’s that wellness is about balance.
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- Spa and Wellness: Women’s-only sanctuary in Ubud
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoë Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …
- Responding to world travel trends, Bliss Sanctuary offers more than a breathtaking Bali retreat – it’s a sanctuary.
- This Bliss Sanctuary For Women has launched a second relaxation sanctuary, in Seminyak, Bali. Founder Zoë Watson tells us whar's …
- Working out suddenly doesn't seem such an effort when you do it in paradise.
- The Best Female-Only Retreats. Travel unaccompanied to these sanctuaries of relaxation without feeling alone.
- A Holiday Just For Me – I’d always dreamed of a relaxing escape and on a whim I booked a …
- Josie Gibson: I get “fat fear” and weigh myself every day.
- I Felt Relaxed and Refreshed. Sipping a cocktail by the pool, I felt the sun warm my skin. I was …
- What Comes Next - For these women, a severe life setback was the catalyst that set them free, Sophie Miura …
- Women’s Retreat Is Ultimate Bliss. Ladies, forget the Kuta rat-race and discover a serene sanctuary where it’s all about you.