6 reasons why you should take a trip on your own
From: Top Sante
Travelling on your own opens up a whole new world and can be a big confidence booster. Here’s how it can benefit you.
1. Feel empowered
‘A solo adventure is one of the most empowering things you can do’, says Zoë Watson, founder of Bliss Sanctuary for Women in Bali (blisssanctuaryforwomen.com).
“It gives you an opportunity to make decisions for yourself, experience new cultures and new ways of living that are yours and only yours to savour. It’s this sense of freedom to focus on yourself that ultimately empowers and inspires you to make changes when you return home.”
2. Enjoy your own company
One of the hardest things about travelling on your own can be loneliness. “Although you meet many other people, there are also times – usually mealtimes – when you can feel a bit exposed even if you’re perfectly happy enjoying your own company” said Zoë. “
Always I’m yourself with a good book or an electronic device. Mealtimes a good time to catch up on events back home, download photos, send emails or even connect with friends on Skype. In many countries restaurants have free WiFi.” Try the super portable Amazon Kindle E- reader (£120, currys.co.uk) and get stuck into a good novel over dinner.
3. Brim with confidence
Travelling by yourself can really boost your confidence and overall well-being. “It allows you to get to know yourself better and build self-esteem by learning to rely on your own instincts,” adds Zoë. “You can enjoy your own company and reflect on the experience with much more clarity than when you were thinking about other people.”
If you like the idea of getting off to a far-flung island but feel nervous about taking the first step, why not start small with an overnight solo spa break or a day trip closer to home? Dubbed the perfect way to escape the chaos and take your mind and body to that holidays zone – without the journey, price tag or jet lag – a ‘daycation’ could be the ideal way to start your solo adventure. Dayuse.co.uk can take you to a few hours of hotel luxury close to home in a couple of clicks.
4. Broaden your horizons
“Travelling solo puts you in control of what you do and where you go.” says psychologist and life coach Jivan Dempsey (jivandempsey.com). ‘Travelling with others requires compromise and you may not get to do the things you want This is your time to be indulgent! However, travelling alone is a big step. If you don’t want to go it totally alone at first, why not consider a charity trip? This allows you to travel alone while meeting up with others when you’re there.”
5. Learn a new Lingo
It’s still a good idea to learn a few keywords and phrases in the native language of the country you’re visiting, but it’s particularly important when travelling alone. “For your own safety and comfort you need to be able to communicate with the locals,” says Zoë. Try the Babbel language app (from the app store) – the free version comes with more than 40 classes, 13 languages and speech recognition exercises.
6. Become more of a social butterfly
“Venturing off alone encourages you to be more sociable and open yourself up to new people. “You get a rush of adrenaline as you forge new relationships with other travellers, which can give a great sense of personal satisfaction,” says Jivan.
However, if you find the whole idea a little daunting, set yourself small targets at home first, such as meeting three new people in one week and striking up a conversation, even if it ultimately doesn’t go anywhere. Slowly build this up and set bigger targets as your confidence grows. Relaxation and visualisation techniques such as NLP are also effective in helping you overcome your fears and deal with new, alien situations.”
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- Once you open the doors to the purpose designed wellness retreat, one of the quietest location sanctuary awaits.
- Gold Coast Bulletin: Retreat owner brings Bali bliss to luxury Burleigh Heads apartment
- From lush jungles to pristine coastlines, it's no surprise Bali is called the Island of the Gods.
- Eat Sleep Repeat. After a 2021 break that's good for the soul? We hear you.
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoë Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- I can only describe my recent stay at this award-winning magical retreat as paradise, a trip like nothing I have …
- Best women-only hotels around the world for a brilliant ladies' getaway. Best women-only hotels around the world whether you're after …
- 'It's hard to relax here': Bachelorette Ali Oetjen leaves boyfriend Taite Radley at home as she jets to Bali for …
- Michelle Heaton, 40, flaunts her flawless physique in a white bandeau bikini as she enjoys a sun-soaked Bali retreat.
- An Adventurous Spirit Finds Inner Peace in Bali: Nadia Stamp openly shares her life with the world and we got …
- Spa and Wellness: Women’s-only sanctuary in Ubud
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …