The trend for going solo
Also online at: Sloan! Magazine
SOLO TRAVEL TRENDS
All holiday makers aren’t as predictable as they used to be, the world offers a more diverse and accessible travel market with previous niches becoming the norm and those hard to reach places becoming reachable. One of the biggest changes is who we go on holiday with, ourselves. It’s no longer restricted to family friendly resorts, romantic weekend breaks or a fun-packed getaway with friends – as the world becomes more accessible we are becoming braver and stepping out to explore the world on our own.
All you need do is attend a dinner party or two and you will hear about travels and adventures all over the world, from a stressed out mum needing some ‘me time’ to a workaholic spending her spa weekend solo. And it seems that even more of us are due to jump on the bandwagon this year, a recent survey by LonelyPlanet.com revealed that 69% of Brits say they’ll be flying solo when it comes to their next holiday and that’s not all – 29% said they want to explore a new destination – we are feeling brave aren’t we?!
Following the French
Not content on simply going it alone, we also don’t want to communicate with anyone back in the office while we’re busy escaping, 75% of people want to completely unplug from their jobs. We need to doth our beret at the French here who have just won their big unplug movement giving French workers the ‘right to disconnect’ outside of work hours. The whole point of a holiday is to relax, unwind and forget about the stresses and strains of work so you can go back to normal life refreshed and ready to go. There’s even been an increase in retreats that specialise in ‘no technology holidays’ where all phones, laptops, tablets and anything else with plugs and buttons are banned.
Solo Travel Trend
The biggest statistic from this survey was a massive 230% increase in traffic to women-only travel companies. As the owner of a woman’s only retreat in Bali, this resonated with my whole reason for starting this business in understanding there is a real need for women to take more time out. I speak to women every day who have felt the need to escape everything and everyone and to reconnect with themselves. It’s like a reset button, women need to stop, and take-stock, refocus and then they’re ready to go again. Most women I meet are frantically juggling families, careers, homes, friends and other commitments leaving precious little time for themselves. This fast-paced and demanding lifestyle can only be maintained for so long before we reach burn-out which is exactly what happened to me and why I started Bliss Sanctuary for Women
Four top tips for solo travellers
Do your research – once you’ve decided where you’d like to go look it up online, Lonely Planet is always reliable or Trip Advisor can be useful. It’s also worthwhile reading articles on journalists’ experiences in your destination – that will give you a good insight.
There are lots of tour operators, resorts, hotels, packages that cater for solo travellers – just search online along with your chosen destination and you’ll find them.
SoloTravelerBlog.com offers tips, resources and destination guides for solo travellers, as well as a free e-book called Travel Alone and Love it!
Use your social media connections to ask for connections where you’re travelling. Offer to take local friends of friends out for dinner, and you’ll be surprised how many people take you up on it – everyone likes to be tour guide for a night.
About Zoë Watson
Entrepreneur, philanthropist and founder, Zoë Watson is a successful Australian business woman whose personal journey led her to set up Bliss Sanctuary for Women – three exclusive women’s only sanctuary centres in Bali that is a holistic haven of tranquility for women in need of an unparalleled escape from the everyday.
Bliss Sanctuary for Women attracts a diverse clientele, including professionals, mothers and women juggling the stresses of both roles. Zoë has overcome persistent migraines, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue through creating a balanced lifestyle as founder of Bliss Sanctuary For Women. She’s the true embodiment of the Bliss philosophy – helping women break down life’s barriers and follow their Bliss, their way.
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- Spa and Wellness: Women’s-only sanctuary in Ubud
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoë Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …
- Responding to world travel trends, Bliss Sanctuary offers more than a breathtaking Bali retreat – it’s a sanctuary.
- This Bliss Sanctuary For Women has launched a second relaxation sanctuary, in Seminyak, Bali. Founder Zoë Watson tells us whar's …
- Working out suddenly doesn't seem such an effort when you do it in paradise.
- The Best Female-Only Retreats. Travel unaccompanied to these sanctuaries of relaxation without feeling alone.
- A Holiday Just For Me – I’d always dreamed of a relaxing escape and on a whim I booked a …
- Josie Gibson: I get “fat fear” and weigh myself every day.
- I Felt Relaxed and Refreshed. Sipping a cocktail by the pool, I felt the sun warm my skin. I was …
- What Comes Next - For these women, a severe life setback was the catalyst that set them free, Sophie Miura …
- Women’s Retreat Is Ultimate Bliss. Ladies, forget the Kuta rat-race and discover a serene sanctuary where it’s all about you.