LOVE ISLAND, INFLUENCER
Love Island’s Zara McDermott calls for ‘diversity of personality’ in response to show’s criticism
The reality TV star, who appeared on series four of the ITV dating show in 2018, reminisced about her time in the villa where she met her ex-boyfriend and co-star Adam Collard.
The 22-year-old’s words come ahead of the show’s return on Monday as the likes of Jameela Jamil slammed the show for seemingly deeming new Islander Anna Vakili as a ‘plus-sized’ person in the eyes of the show’s casting.
Speaking to Metro.co.uk, the former Government advisor from Essex said that the show’s attempt to include diversity all around ‘is all very positive’.
However, Love Island needs more ‘inclusivity in terms of ethnicity, in terms of body shape’, she emphasised.
‘I think it is not only about appearance but it is about the diversity of personality. So as long as that diversity is done as well’, the star told us. ‘It makes a really good show.’
Zara, who split from Adam in February after seven months of dating following their coupling up in the villa, spent a week in Bali at Bliss Sanctuary For Women in a retreat to ‘just be away’ following a hectic year which saw her propelled into immediate fame.
Admitting that the wellness trip was ‘something she has never done before’, Zara discussed the struggles reality TV contestants face when transitioning into becoming a celebrity.
She said: ‘I wish it was a wholly positive experience. You go into the villa as a normal person but you leave more famous than a lot of other reality TV stars already out there.’
There has been a lot of debate regarding the duty of care Islanders receive following the tragic deaths of two former contestants.
Earlier this year, former Islander Mike Thalassitis died by suicide after his body was found in a North London park.
His tragic death came after the loss of another previous contestant Sophie Gradon, who had also taken her own life.
Love Island released a detailed account of the duty of care process each contestant will go through before entering the series five villa
As some other stars demanded the show be pulled from the air, in the same way The Jeremy Kyle Show was axed following the suspected suicide of one of their contestants, Love Island bosses are now keen to put minds at rest as the new series begins.
After evaluating their previous care, they have added enhanced psychological support and more detailed conversations with potential Islanders regarding the impact of participation on the show.
On top of that, each islander will be given social media and financial management training to help them tackle their sudden cashflow and attention online.
Although Zara admitted that her aftercare was ‘not as rigid’ – she claims to have ‘three to five’ compulsory chats with producers – she praised the telly bosses for updating their duty of care process and for being there for her when she split up from Adam.
She added: ‘For me, my aftercare was enough. The producers always wanted to keep an open relationship with us. ‘
I supposed this new aftercare plan is open for people who feel like they can’t ask for help.’
Love Island launches on ITV2 tomorrow at 9 pm.
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- Eat Sleep Repeat. After a 2021 break that's good for the soul? We hear you.
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoë Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- I can only describe my recent stay at this award-winning magical retreat as paradise, a trip like nothing I have …
- Best women-only hotels around the world for a brilliant ladies' getaway. Best women-only hotels around the world whether you're after …
- 'It's hard to relax here': Bachelorette Ali Oetjen leaves boyfriend Taite Radley at home as she jets to Bali for …
- Michelle Heaton, 40, flaunts her flawless physique in a white bandeau bikini as she enjoys a sun-soaked Bali retreat.
- 17 fabulous hotels for solo travel, from ski packages to spa retreats. Exploring a destination on your own is an …
- An Adventurous Spirit Finds Inner Peace in Bali: Nadia Stamp openly shares her life with the world and we got …
- Spa and Wellness: Women’s-only sanctuary in Ubud
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …
- Responding to world travel trends, Bliss Sanctuary offers more than a breathtaking Bali retreat – it’s a sanctuary.
- This Bliss Sanctuary For Women has launched a second relaxation sanctuary, in Seminyak, Bali. Founder Zoë Watson tells us whar's …