The Most Zen Thing You’ll Ever Do
I may not be in high school any more, but I remember year 12 VERY clearly. Mostly because it was the most stressful year of my life. That epic last month of exams/crying/exams/ freaking out/more crying? Not keen to relive it. Of course the pressure was entirely self-imposed, but it didn’t matter, or stop the tears. So when I finally came out of the fog that was high school, I didn’t want to go mental and party at schoolies. I didn’t want to be surrounded by a million people I didn’t know or like – I wanted a break. I wanted time out to sort my head out, and be still a while… and I wanted to do it with my mum or my bestie, who I hadn’t seen in like six months on account of my srs relationship with my text books.
So that’s why, at the end of this school year, I finally took the trip I wanted to take all those years ago. As I was finishing the year of working at GF, I flew to Bali and stayed at Bliss Sanctuary Spa Retreat for Women. OK, so they’re not kidding with the ‘bliss’ in the title. It was legit one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. And, even though an OS holiday might seem an exxy thing to pitch to Mum, not only is this totally affordable, it’s worth every cent – and she’ll love it. Trust me on that part. I came home, and everyone was all like “You look SOOOO well”. I was one of those glowy holiday people that you kinda hate for looking so amazing and refreshed. Anyway, since I came back a ~changed woman~ I thought I’d tell you my top 5 reasons you need to do this trip.
1. The chill factor
Bali itself can be pretty hectic, but they call this a sanctuary for a reason. When you walk through the door, you’re greeted by the amazing hostesses and feel instantly calm. There’s a definite feeling that this is how you should always feel. So what if you want to lie by the pool all day? You totally can, and that’s OK.
2. The lush “dream life” factor
This is not a drill: each day you get a massage or facial, or treatment of your choice (included in your stay). Every.single.day. And not only that, your days are organised for you by the lovely hostesses, so all you need to think about is what time you want a massage and if you want to go to the beach or pool – or both. Oh yeah, and also the food is made for you and it’s just the most delicious thing ever.
3. The yoga factor
OK, so I’d only done yoga a couple of times before I got to Bali and I didn’t think I’d be very into it… but I’m a serious convert. You can do yoga daily (for free) here at a gorgeous resort called Desa Seni. It’s like doing yoga is paradise. You can’t help but love it. Also, if you’re wanting to rebalance the heart/mind/ body this is where you need to start.
4. The balance factor
Speaking of balance, this was one of the main reasons I wanted to go on this trip. After a year of crazy I wanted to just chill and find the illusive zen. So, when I found out that you can see some ‘healers’ at the sanctuary I was THERE. First up I went to the traditional Balinese healer – Sami, who was there to sort out my physical issues. He talked a lot about balancing masculine and feminine energy (Yin and Yang) and how to achieve that balance by the food and drink you consume. Next, I saw Henry, who did colour puncture therapy (dw, there’s no actual ‘puncturung’ involved). He used colour and crystals to unblock any issues either emotional or physical. It was kinda amazing I have to say and the next day I felt so much lighter, and – you guessed it – balanced.
5. The bonding factor
Hands down the best part of this trip was actually the people I met. Although the sanctuary is only small, everyone there was looking for the same calm and balance as me. I went there to have some ~quality~ time with my bestie (which of course I had oodles of) but I came out with new friends. Each night we ate together and there were girls from all over the world coming together. It was just incredible.
So yeah. Jealous yet? I mean I’m a little jealous of myself even re-reading this. So if you’re in need of that calm again after the epic year, I’d maybe show this little blog to mum with a winky face.
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoe Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …
- Responding to world travel trends, Bliss Sanctuary offers more than a breathtaking Bali retreat – it’s a sanctuary.
- This Bliss Sanctuary For Women has launched a second relaxation sanctuary, in Seminyak, Bali. Founder Zoë Watson tells us whar's …
- Working out suddenly doesn't seem such an effort when you do it in paradise.
- The Best Female-Only Retreats. Travel unaccompanied to these sanctuaries of relaxation without feeling alone.
- A Holiday Just For Me – I’d always dreamed of a relaxing escape and on a whim I booked a …
- Josie Gibson: I get “fat fear” and weigh myself every day.
- I Felt Relaxed and Refreshed. Sipping a cocktail by the pool, I felt the sun warm my skin. I was …
- What Comes Next - For these women, a severe life setback was the catalyst that set them free, Sophie Miura …
- Women’s Retreat Is Ultimate Bliss. Ladies, forget the Kuta rat-race and discover a serene sanctuary where it’s all about you.
- If you think Bali is all about beer, braids and bogans then think again, says Jessica Martin.