A Solo Female Traveler’s Guide to Bali
See article online: Cosmopolitan Website
By Nikki Chowdury
The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos.
Lets be real — travelling solo is easier than ever. With google maps, free WiFi and friends and family but a Viber call away, there really is no better time to be travelling alone.
So what’s holding us back? Chances are, despite the many luxuries travelling in 2018 affords us, most still have a few (very understandable) fears: Loneliness, safety, getting lost on public transport, etc.
No matter how seasoned a traveller you are, few are totally immune when it comes to travel related anxiety — especially when its solo travel. However, the solution may lie entirely in where you choose to stay.
For me, it was a women’s only yoga retreat in Seminyak called Bliss Sanctuary for Women.
Deciding where to stay as a solo female traveller is probably the most important decision you’ll make in regards to your trip. I stayed at the Bliss Sanctuary for Women in Seminyak , and besides unlimited free massages (yes, unlimited) my accommodation included:
- A personal driver to take me anywhere I wanted (and, occasionally, help me snap a few Instagram photos)
- A hostess to help me organise my daily itinerary
- A free phone with a local sim card filled with emergency phone numbers including the retreat, drivers, hostesses and more
- Unlimited spa treatments
- Free daily guided yoga classes
- Free breakfasts, lunches and group dinners with other guests staying at the retreat (ie, The easiest way to find a shopping buddy and make friends)
All equally wonderful amenities to have when travelling alone—but, more on those unlimited spa treatments…
Unlimited Spa Treatments – Yes, Unlimited
When I say unlimited, I mean unlimited. If you’re inclined to have 4 massages a day, you will get 4 massages a day. Other treatments include:
– Balinese massages
– Thai massages
– Full body scrubs
– Tarot card readings
– Hot stone massages
– Flower baths
– Cream baths
Where to go
With four days in Bali, my itinerary was understandably full. Luckily, the hostesses at Bliss and my very knowledgeable driver had me sorted.
The Monkey Temple
Visitors are warned not to have important belongings in open bags, because the monkeys will take them. I was skeptical at first, but after watching a monkey unzip a woman’s backpack and run off with her designer sunglasses — I am a believer. Definitely worth visiting for the hilarity alone.
Go early to avoid lines and pay the photographers US$10 for a professional photo you’ll hold onto forever. If the lines are bad, don’t waste your time and ask your driver to take you to the swing situated in the rice fields — equally beautiful with none of the tourists.
Tegalalang Rice Terraces
Best to visit in March or May and early in the morning when the sun is rising. Carry some very small change with you as you’ll be asked to give ‘donations’ as you venture through the fields.
Bliss Sanctuary’s grounds feel like an oasis amidst the busy city streets of Seminyak.
Instagram addicts, take note: Kim Soo will satisfy all your coffee / interior / fashion / aesthetic cravings.
GREAT Mexican fare housed in a made-for-Instagram bar and restaurant. Best visited at night when the place is pumping.
Kopi Luwak Coffee Plantation
A beautiful plantation where you get to try 12 different types of coffee and tea for free—keep in mind, you won’t leave empty handed. Once you have a taste of their coconut coffee, you won’t be able to resist purchasing a few bags for yourself.
How much will it cost me?
7 days of unlimited treatments, a personal driver and unlimited food will set you back $3,550, coming in at a little over $500 a night.
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- An Adventurous Spirit Finds Inner Peace in Bali: Nadia Stamp openly shares her life with the world and we got …
- Spa and Wellness: Women’s-only sanctuary in Ubud
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoë Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …
- Responding to world travel trends, Bliss Sanctuary offers more than a breathtaking Bali retreat – it’s a sanctuary.
- This Bliss Sanctuary For Women has launched a second relaxation sanctuary, in Seminyak, Bali. Founder Zoë Watson tells us whar's …
- Working out suddenly doesn't seem such an effort when you do it in paradise.
- The Best Female-Only Retreats. Travel unaccompanied to these sanctuaries of relaxation without feeling alone.
- A Holiday Just For Me – I’d always dreamed of a relaxing escape and on a whim I booked a …
- Josie Gibson: I get “fat fear” and weigh myself every day.
- I Felt Relaxed and Refreshed. Sipping a cocktail by the pool, I felt the sun warm my skin. I was …
- What Comes Next - For these women, a severe life setback was the catalyst that set them free, Sophie Miura …