Entertainment: Hen’s Getaway in Bali
Today’s brides and bridesmaids are taking the traditional hen’s night to a whole new level of indulgence, stepping up the one-night soiree to an overseas getaway.
Brianna Ragel shares her pick of the best Bali retreats for a hen’s do with a difference.
Bliss Sanctuary, Canggu
Opened a year ago by former Adelaide-based advertising manager Zoe Watson, Bliss Sanctuary for Women is based on the principle of finding your own bliss.
Accommodating groups of three to five, the gorgeous Bliss Sanctuary Villa is set in the quieter area of Canggu, which at one time was only known to locals and surfers. But there is more to Canggu than its beautiful beaches.
Located 20 minutes’ drive north of Seminyak along the coast, Canggu is fast becoming home to the many expats living in Bali who are drawn to the quiet, untouched village feel and expansive views of the beach and rice fields.
The presence of the expat community is also stimulating fast growth and development in the area. Set against the rice fields are a splattering of boutiques, cafés serving local Balinese food and espresso coffee, the Desa Seni Village Resort yoga club, and the well-known Canggu Club, fitted with lavish tennis courts.
eat, pray love
- Bliss Sanctuary’s Eat Pray Love Package is a five- to seven-day experience, which includes:
- Your own private room and bathroom with plasma TV, DVD player, and library of old and new movies to choose from
- Daily yoga for all levels in partnership with a nearby specialist yoga centre, Desa Seni
- Daily massage and spa treatments
Bliss spa toiletries
- Gourmet local cuisine for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- An endless supply of purified or bottled water, coffee, and herbal teas
- Personal drivers
- Pushbikes for riding around the rice paddies and to the beach
- Airport transfers
- Fresh juice on arrival
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Personalised itinerary consultation and booking services with your Bliss hostess
Day trip to see Ketut Liyer, the Balinese spiritual healer
- Bike ride around beautiful cultural centre, Ubud, as seen in the movie Eat Pray Love, including breakfast overlooking the Batur volcano and a smorgasbord lunch
Still, in the absence of tourists, Canggu feels more like the “real” Bali and thus delivers on its promise of providing a true escape.
The luxury sanctuary offers hen’s groups a number of set retreat packages, including the Bliss Sanctuary package; Waterlovers package; Eat Pray Love experience; Bali sightseer; Thrill-seeker; and the Fab Foodie package.
Regardless of the package you choose, the Bliss Villa hostess will sit down with you upon arrival to create an exact itinerary to suit you and the girls. The good thing is that there is flexibility if you find you need to change the day or time of activities.
Whether it’s excitement, culture, or adventure you’re after, or a luxury spa retreat and pampering experience, the Bliss Sanctuary can accommodate. Daily massages and beauty treatments are included with your stay, and the villa chef is on hand to cook up your favourite meals when you want them. The menu includes local dishes such as nasi goreng and gadu gadu, as well as many western favourites. For trips to nearby Seminyak or even longer excursions, Putu, the villa driver, is available as your chauffeur. It’s all very simple and easy at Bliss Sanctuary — just what you need for you and your BFFs before your walk down the aisle.
The highlight for me was a visit from a local Balinese healer, Ketut Samiratha. While I was sceptical at first, I found Ketut’s mix of traditional Balinese healing combined with reflexology, chiropractic, and kinesiology (he has studied in Australia and Holland) truly enlightening. His own brand of diagnostic and intuitive consultation and therapy, which he calls De CHY, is a must-do for anyone wanting to rebalance and align their body, mind, and spirit. For more information visit www.balichyhealing.com
Bliss Sanctuary For Women, empowering women to travel solo with a tailored Bali retreat holiday just for you.
Follow your bliss your way with an experience completely tailored to you. More than a retreat for women, it’s your personal time out for rejuvenation and wellness. This Bali holiday is free of group schedules so you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. From unlimited sightseeing, unlimited massages, unlimited yoga, meditation, healers, plentiful and yummy food, shopping, personal drivers to take you anywhere you would like to go… it’s all up to you.
Check out our Bali Packages and remember they are all completely flexible so you can change anything you would like once here.
We would love to meet you!
- Spa and Wellness: Women’s-only sanctuary in Ubud
- When a stressed out and exhausted Zoe Watson needed a break from the daily grind she headed to the tropical …
- The hardest part is finding someone to take your Instagram photos...
- Find Your Bliss in Bali - New Idea Associate Editor Holly Richards swapped deadlines for massages at this women-only retreat.
- Be your best with Bliss. More than a yoga retreat or healthy holiday, Bliss Sanctuary for Women sets its sights …
- Bali’s Healing Magic. On the ‘Island of the Gods’, healing through both the physical and spiritual is a natural way …
- The retreat us ideally situated in a tranquil cul-de-sac, yet with the area's famed shopping, restaurants and beautiful beaches in …
- With spring being the season of blossoming and renewing, doesn't the idea of retreating to discover yourself sound appealing?
- The Bliss Sanctuary For Women in Bali offers proper pampering for mums and daughters this Mother's Day - think deep …
- A yoga break can restore your mind, body and soul like nothing else. However much time you have to spare, …
- Prepare yourself for the most pampering holiday of your life. Blissful days - Bliss Sanctuary For Women is one special …
- Responding to world travel trends, Bliss Sanctuary offers more than a breathtaking Bali retreat – it’s a sanctuary.
- This Bliss Sanctuary For Women has launched a second relaxation sanctuary, in Seminyak, Bali. Founder Zoë Watson tells us whar's …
- Working out suddenly doesn't seem such an effort when you do it in paradise.
- The Best Female-Only Retreats. Travel unaccompanied to these sanctuaries of relaxation without feeling alone.
- A Holiday Just For Me – I’d always dreamed of a relaxing escape and on a whim I booked a …
- Josie Gibson: I get “fat fear” and weigh myself every day.
- I Felt Relaxed and Refreshed. Sipping a cocktail by the pool, I felt the sun warm my skin. I was …
- What Comes Next - For these women, a severe life setback was the catalyst that set them free, Sophie Miura …
- Women’s Retreat Is Ultimate Bliss. Ladies, forget the Kuta rat-race and discover a serene sanctuary where it’s all about you.