If you ever needed a reason to take a break from your fast paced life… here are some hard-hitting health reasons that should stop you in your tracks.
- Stress is more likely to lead to colds and flus and is the main contributor to the development of many diseases
- Relaxation helps the body protect against disease and promotes good health
- Actual deep relaxation is the most important factor towards good health (sitting watching TV doesn’t count)
- It takes 3 days to unwind and 7-10 to really relax when on holiday
- Bliss Sanctuary For Women provides a safe haven for women to relax
We all know that a good night’s sleep is essential to good health, while stress is detrimental to it. But did you know that deep relaxation could improve your overall well being now and in the future?
New research conducted by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services shows that people suffering from chronic stress are much more likely to catch colds. Not only does stress compromise the immune system, it also hampers the body’s production of the hormones necessary to fight inflammation. With cold & flu season now upon us, these findings couldn’t be timelier.
But what really had researchers sniffling about was the body’s inflammatory response when disrupted by stress. When disrupted, the body’s natural protection is limited against the development of a broader range of diseases and serious health concerns such as:
Thankfully, researchers at the Harvard Medical School have also recently proved that deep restorative relaxation can have positive genetic effects on our body, which protect and fight against these diseases and disorders, both today and later in life.
Put simply, deep relaxation can reverse the damaging effects that stress has left on the body.
A 2007 University of Cambridge study found that those less stressed had a 24% lower risk of stroke. While the Kinsey Institute of Research revealed that stress zaps libido in men by up to 30% as well as affecting fertility in both genders.
The good news is that all you have to do is R E L A X. In fact it’s the single most important thing you can do for your mental, psychological and physical health.
According to Harvard Medical School, for relaxation to be effective it needs to get in deep, so if you are in a high state of stress, lounging on the couch for a few hours every other Sunday is probably not going to cut it.
On average, it takes approximately three days to ‘wind down’ when on holiday and 7-10 days to achieve deep restorative benefits that lasts for up to six weeks.
A survey of 273 guests taken after their stay at Bliss Sanctuary For Women showed that the #1 activities their bodies needed was deep rest and no schedules, rather than what they had thought before their holiday, which was attending yoga or strict eating.
Recent studies by the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that 42% of Australian women always or often feel rushed or pressed for time, leading to increased stress levels.
Benefits of relaxation include:
- Improved sleep quality / more energy
- Increases concentration, awareness, clarity
- Decreases muscle tension
- Assists with chronic pain
- Balances emotions
- Boosts immune system
- Glowing skin (stress causes breakouts)
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Brings back that lovin’ feeling (increases libido)
- Reduces risk of heart disease by lowering heart rate and blood pressure
- Assists Diabetes by improving body’s ability to regulate blood sugar levels (Duke University Medical Centre)
Adelaide businesswoman Zoë Watson is well aware of the benefits of relaxation. After sustaining severe injuries in a car accident, Zoë like most of us, persevered and pushed on with her hectic and stressful lifestyle. Three years on and almost at breaking point, Zoë took off on her first ever-solo holiday. She travelled to Bali where she discovered how restorative deep rest could really be.
She resigned from the rat-race and returned to Bali to open Bliss Sanctuary For Women the first-of-its-kind women’s only sanctuary established to offer a safe haven for women needing to restore, revive and reinvigorate.
Bliss takes all the stress out of travelling by offering tailor-made packages to suit each individual guest’s individual needs. There are no schedules, agendas, expectations or judgment. Daily 90-minute massages are standard in every package, as are yoga and meditation options if desired, all conducive to finding your inner Bliss.
A deep breathe goes a long way:
- improves respiratory & asthma
- lowers heart rate & blood pressure
- reduces lactic acid build up in muscle tissue
- balances oxygen & carbon dioxide in the blood
- boosts the immune system & physical wellbeing
- decreases muscle tension
- increases mental clarity and focus
So take a big, deep, blissful breathe and relax… it might save your life.
Zoë Watson is available for interview
She resides between Bali and Adelaide
Zoë was a media and marketing executive in Adelaide and Sydney.
She is now the owner of Bliss Sanctuary For Women, currently operating in Bali,
Sanctuaries in Spain and Greece are planned to open in 2013.
For further information please contact:
Bec Brown Communications, Sydney
(The Huffington Post became the first commercially run, United States digital media enterprise to win a Pulitzer Prize, 2012)